Thursday, August 17, 2017

It's nearly there (and some lorikeet pictures)





That picture up there has nothing to do with this post, but a lot of people liked the idea of a dragon suddenly appearing in the sky above the calm waters of Hervey Bay at dawn. I thought you might, too. I bought the dragon picture and incorporated it into one of my own photos.

Anyway, back to the writing business...
I know I sound like a broken record these days, but as I've tried to explain, writing a book is hard work, involving many repetitions and checks. I reckon if I have to suffer, you can, too.

Once the book is written and rewritten and edited and rewritten, then it's time for the cover, and the blurb – the description of the book which will encourage you lot to rush out and buy it. I'm delighted to say that (with a lot of help from my wonderful editor) the blurb is done and dusted.

For the Greater Good

A Human settlement is destroyed and all signs point to an Yrmak raid as Imperial agents Tian Axmar and Brent Walker scour the site for clues. One thing they never expected to find was a survivor, a rare alien feline with unusual talents

As tensions between Humans and Yrmaks ratchet to the point of no return, Tian and Brent must bring all their cyborg skills to bear as they follow a dangerous trail of deception and misdirection. 

The feline, now dubbed Puss and strongly bonded to Tian, holds the key to many of the questions driving the investigation. Unfortunately, that bond drives a wedge between Brent and Tian’s working relationship, leaving Brent with second thoughts about his decision to become a cyborg.

 As the evidence unfolds, it becomes clear that a devious plot to incite an interspecies war will strike at the very heart of the Empire. With lives at risk, there's no time to waste. Racing against the clock, Brent, Tian, and Puss must stop the planned carnage, and this time for Brent and Tian… it’s personal.
-----------------------

That description captures the essence of the book – these are troubled times for Tian and Brent, a situation exacerbated by the cat. On top of that they have a job to do – stop the planned carnage.

Then we have to think about marketing. 
The book's not really a romance. We don't have boy meets girl, problems, HEA. But the personal relationship between Tian and Brent is a major plot arc which complicates their working relationship. I don't think I'll even try to market it as a romance. But it is a planet-hopping space opera, with aliens and an Empire.

Apart from that, there's some pretty tame sex and a bit of colorful language (my books always have  - because that's how my characters act). 

Now for the cover. While I was messing about looking for suitable images I had a peak at cat pictures. I always imagined Puss as an oriental cat like a Siamese, but black, with just a hint of white on her chest – and knock me over with a feather, I found this image. It's a perfect match. Whether my cover designer wants to use it is up to her. But I thought you might like a look.
The book will be available for preorder any minute now. Be warned - the cover will change.

Apart from that here's a few lorikeet shots. They are on a callistemon (bottle brush) enjoying one of their favorite native foods.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for chiming in! We love to see your comments. (All comments are moderated so spam can be terminated!)